Friday, January 22, 2010

The Presence of God

Often I have heard about the presence and omnipresence of God, but rarely did I understand what that means to my everyday life. Yes, certainly the fear and knowledge of an almighty God right among us makes me think about doing something I should not be doing. However, is it not a powerful thing to really believe this?

Do we really understand the implications of this in our lives? Faith is a funny thing so often talked about but very rarely real. I know Martin Luther said at the time of the reformation that true faith was a very rare find... Today, I think we are very limiting in our practice of it. If we really believe in the presence of God, an Almighty, loving, living God, not in just some pocket or slot machine type of god, and we believe and know He truly has redeemed us and delights in us, should we not live with a blazing, freeing joy in our hearts?

I have thought about this some today as I thought about what true faith really does for a man after watching a movie that pictured a man who "walks by faith and not by sight." What if I had true faith in an all-present God? I knew I believed in such a thing, and thought it mattered to me, but thought and truth were not linked in my life. I began to really start to dwell on it, simply believing it to be true and then I realized what incredible joy that could bring me. Knowing that this God, the one who saved me out of bondage and self-life, works His will all around me and has His hands on all of creation and waits for me simply to turn to Him in child-like faith and rest in His strength. As the Bible says, "the joy of the LORD is our strength," can this not be an always true statement for us? Dwell on this, this simple, yet freeing truth and turn to the ever present Lord of all with simple faith believing in Him and know His peace. The Lord longs for us to do so; He longs for us to walk with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment